Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2011

(E)x Box loving....

Ladies picture the scene - it's an ordinary week day evening. Dinner has been made, washing up has been done, you’re settled on the sofa with a glass of something chilled in hand. Suddenly your other half jumps up and stumbles out of the room, mumbling something you can't quite make out. Your mind may start to wonder what on earth he is up too, is he ill? Maybe needing to be sick? Or maybe he is having an affair and his other love interest is about to ring? Or maybe if you’re like me you will just settle a little deeper into the sofa feeling a flip of excitement that your queen of the remote! Now ladies, please don't think I'm cold or that I'm selfish or that I don't care, I really do. I just know his secret. It's the same as most men, his love for this is all consuming for him. Yep ladies I'm on about the games console. Whether it is the XBox or PlayStation all men are madly addicted to their beloved plastic boxes. In my house it's completely my own fault. The boys got the red ring of death (XBox lingo for very broken!) and he was beside himself, as it was his birthday coming up I actually volunteered to buy him a new one. Even now as I reflect on this act of kindness I do wonder why! The thing that confuses us women is the power the console has. The power to turn an intelligent, kind, loving boyfriend into a crazy, angry mini beast! Normally well spoken and polite the boy comes out with words and phrases I have never heard let alone thought he would use. Luckily Lady Gaga turned up drowns most of it out! The other thing that boggles the mind is the amount of time and planning goes into organising the console sessions. Facebook invites, sleep overs and code words are all part and parcel off the console loving community. It completely baffles me how a group of successful, clever, funny men can be so consumed by imaginary games and a few garish graphics. Naively in an attempt to take and interest and to understand this bizarre trend I asked the boy if he fancied a game. After he recovered from the shock and I had dragged myself away from perusing AllSaints new collection we sat in front of said lump of plastic, whilst he logged me in. The boy offered a choice of games, but being honest they all seemed to be the same thing to me. A variety of different characters in different settings, with one objective. To kill each other. Great stuff. With a slightly heavy heart I selected a character (there were clearly no girly ones!) and gave it a name. This caused us to hit the first bump in the road. Apparently Princess Sunshine isn’t a suitable name for Call of Duty. Or gaming in general. Now I’m not one to stomp my Louboutin’s over something so little but I wasn’t about to change the name. With a heavy sigh the boy showed me the controller and I tried to get to grips with the multi tasking, something as women we are normally good at. After a few minutes I was very confused and a little bit bored. Ladies I have to admit, I just didn’t get it!! It didn’t help that I realised I was looking at the wrong screen. After a shameful defeat I retired to do some yoga and took the opportunity to reflect on this console situation. I’m truly clueless as to what the attraction is this time. How can one plastic box make the boy not only multi task but also organize things? As I wandered back into the room I asked him what was so good about gaming. My response from the boy was for him to shrug his shoulders and mutter ‘it’s good’. Great, well that clears things up. From a female point of view I know we would all happily bin the damn things and many times I have been tempted. It was as I found myself alone, snuggled on the sofa later that night, fully stretched out, watching whatever I wanted that I realised that it doesn’t matter that I don’t get it. What I do get and enjoy is the peace and quiet it brings me. After all whilst the boy is X Boxing would he really notice if the credit card and I slipped for a little retail therapy? xX

No comments:

Post a Comment