Search This Blog

Sunday 7 August 2011

The Crossroads.......

If we are lucky ladies, we can travel through our lives, happy with our lot, feeling we are reaching all our dreams. But often when we least expect it we are suddenly bought to a screeching holt at an unexpected cross road. Maybe it's a redundancy from a dream job, maybe it’s the man of your dreams ending your relationship, a bereavement or a friendship being broken, but whatever the event it causes our lives to grind to a stop. As we sit dazed, reeling from the heart ache and upset we have been hit by, we find ourselves perched on the side lines of our own lives, and it can be hard to imagine how all your dreams went so very wrong. Sometimes we give too much, sometimes too much is taken from us and sometimes with all the best will in the world we just didn't see it coming.
This week, my life having unexpectedly slammed on at a new cross roads, I found myself in unfamiliar territory. As I gazed around looking for any signs of life I realised that I had inadvertently taken life's runaway train that had landed me and my Louboutins at the corner of Heartbroken Avenue and Lost Lane. As I gazed around trying to get my bearings I swiftly realised I was a long way from happiness and home. Like any girl worth her weight in vino, I started by dusting down my Whistles skirt, dabbing on the Touche Eclat, running the GHD's through my hair and adding a chic coat of Chanels long lasting lipstick in 'boy' (oh the irony!). Any girl in this position knows this is often the only way forward through a heartbreak. And forward we must go.....
Top Tips For Your Cross Road Arrival and Survival.

·         You are going to cry. A lot. Some times in public places. Always carry a clean kleenex and lay off the eye liner, panda eyes are just plain scary and your fab friends will not thank you for MAC's finest staining their new GAP basic white tee.
·         Tell people and talk. It genuinely helps and stops people spouting the most irritating line 'smile love, it might not happen' and it saves you from having to grit your teeth whilst mumbling through your tears that it already has.

·         Make like a diva and work those giant shades. Hey, if it works for Anna Wintour it can work for you. No one needs to see your giant bags under your eyes from all the crying and sleepless nights so keep 'em covered!

·         Despite what Bridget Jones says vodka and Chaka Khan are not a dignified answer.

·         The most important thing is to be kind to you. In time this pain will heal and in time you will laugh again. Sleep when you can, eat well and do things you enjoy.

·         Ivana Trump may have been onto something here. Gorgeous hair is the best revenge. No other revenge is ever needed, the karma bus will always come. Hopefully you will have a good seat for that particular show!

·         It’s hard to forget something that has given you so much remember, give those memories time to find a place in your heart but don’t live your life through them.

·         As Beyonce wisely sang – ‘after all the darkness and sadness still comes happiness, if I surround myself with positive things I gain prosperity.’

As we reflect on difficult times and the new challenges ahead of us it is important that we realise that we are often lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the most beautiful inspirational people in this world. It’s these people who hold us up when we fall, make us dinner when we are too upset to eat and make us strong when we feel we can’t take another step. So as I stand at my crossroads, older, wiser and in better shoes, trying to work the Sat Nav of life, I find myself taking a deep breath and humming a bit of old school Green Day – ‘It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right. I hope you had the time of your life’.

No comments:

Post a Comment