Search This Blog

Sunday 2 October 2011

Organised Chaos........

Being a girl of few organisational skills and subsequent high stress levels, an impending house move is not something I look forward too. I'm the kind of girl who gets in the car to find my petrol light has come on, the tax disc expired yesterday and I'm already 20minutes late for work as my hair has a life of its own. This was just a predictable Monday morning in the story of my unorganized life. The thing is, being unorganized has been a habit for so long it’s now a big part of my life. From school reports and work appraisals to my mum repeating the same, weary mantra of ‘can you please be a more organized *sigh*’, many people have tried to show me the error of my chaotic ways, yet I never seem to learn. With the mother ships voice ringing in my head, I cursed my own incompetence. At the risk of sounding trite, why does all this happen on a Monday?! As the fun and happiness of the weekend fills your head and heart, Monday stomps its miserable, cold size 9's all over it! As I ran in the house, switching the lap top on, frantically searching for the tax disc reminder I had put in the age old favourite 'safe place' that I can never remember and tripping over my pack up I had left on the stairs (so I wouldn't forget it). Great start to the day. One hour later, a quick petrol stop at the most rural garage and a tax disk had left me nearly £100 lighter and 100% stressed. As I slipped into work late (again) I made a vow to myself I would get organised and book a hair appointment. Especially for the looming house move.....
With the ink barely dry on the new house contract and the promise to myself to be more organised fresh in my mind, I set about collecting empty boxes for a move in 4 weeks time. Feeling pleased with this first step I followed this up with an attempt at writing a list. I even went to effort of doing it on one of those purpose built list making note pads, a subtle gift from the mother ship. Now I’m not normally a list writing kinda gal, maybe in that lies the problem so pushing forward with the new organized me I persevered with this list writing business. One hour later, shamefully I still had no list. I did however have a lovely doodle of some flowers, a cube, an eye and my signature as Mrs Pitt. Not particularly useful. Deciding I was much more of a practical person, it was time to tackle my shoe collection. Somewhat ashamed of the giant size of it when I moved in with the boy, I currently have shoes stashed away in secret locations all over the house and my car. Several hours later a game of hide and seek was complete and Kurt Geiger’s finest were now piled high (all in boxes of course!) neatly in the living room and blocking the Chesterfield sofa and subsequently the TV. Realising that this beautifully organized pile would have to be moved in case Arsenal were playing, I could think of no other option than to put all the shoes back where I had found them. Feeling deflated that my attempt at organization had once again not gone well, I decided to hit up my old and faithful pal, the internet. Moves to new cities require new things like Doctors, Dentists and parking permits. There are also other new essentials to be found in a new city such as hair dressers, beauty therapists and stockist of Benefit, Chanel and Dior.  Trying again with the list idea I was a little more successful this time. It’s amazing how much more motivated I am when it comes to more appealing things. Several hours later I sat back feeling proud. I had not only written a list, I had a tick to. New city, new start, new hairdresser, one tick is better than none!
As the move gets closers, I find myself surrounded by piles of shoes, clothes, make up and books. Memories of my life slowly but surely get packaged away into a variety of boxes and bags, ready to start again somewhere new. There are still boxes empty in the back of my car, shoes hidden all over and I’m not totally convinced I have found a new organised me. But what I do know is that somewhere in amongst this organised chaos is a new apartment, the start of a new chapter and a fabulous new hair cut.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment